Maine is the first state in the nation to support former youth in care with higher education through the age of 27. The Alumni Transition Grant Program (ATGP) was established by state law in 2014; youth delivered testimony and wrote legislators and the Governor in support of the bill.
This program will provide:
- financial support to ATGP students to help them graduate from college or training programs
- a Navigator who will connect youth to post-secondary education resources
- an Advisory Committee that will ensure the success of the program and report to the legislature
Grants will be awarded to forty (40) students for the 2015-2016 academic school year.
To apply, complete this application, following the instructions found on the form. An eligible individual must have:
• Been in Maine’s foster care system at age 18.
• Exited Maine’s Voluntary Extended Care and Support (V9) Agreement at age 21.
• Been enrolled in a post-secondary education program when the V9 ended at age 21.
• Not yet attained his or her 27th birthday
For more information about the ATGP, you can review this informational handout.